Slow Cooker Sauce & Zucchini Noodles
Today were sharing a recipe for an awesome slow cooker pasta sauce and one of our summer favorites, zucchini noodles. This is an easy, yet filling meal where the sauce can be started in the morning and left to simmer in the Crockpot all day long. When you get home, spiral-ize some zucchini noodles and you’re sailing.
As a side note, to maximize the flavor be sure to sauté the vegetables and brown the meat on the stove before throwing it into the crockpot. Not a necessary step but will certainly add to the dish.
PREP TIME : 10-15 mins
TOTAL TIME: At least 4 hours in the crockpot / 10 minutes for the noodles.
SERVES: 6-8 or 1 Dr. Joel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups strained tomatoes, tomato sauce, or crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- a few sprigs fresh basil (reserve a few leaves for garnish)
- 2-3 ripe Zucchini’s
- Heat oil in a large saute pan on medium. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent, about 4-7 minutes.
- Add ground turkey/beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking up pieces.
- Add red wine and continue cooking until there is no more liquid in the pan.
- Add the meat into Crockpot. Add thyme, bay leaf, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 4-6 hours.
- Add fresh basil sprigs half an hour before serving.
Now for the Zucchini Noodles –
- Spiralize your zucchini and set aside on paper towels so that any excess water is soaked up.
- Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat then add zucchini noodles, cooking for about 1 to 2 minutes until tender.
- Add zucchini noodles to a large bowl and toss with with your Pasta Sauce serve and enjoy!